The SC101 Storage Central are ideal for any home or home office wishing to store and/or back-up files, music, photos, video and games. They can also be used as a central storage device for media. For example we have used them as the storage system for our music and video which is then streamed using a Showcenter (from Pinnacle Systems) and Netgear MP101 music streaming equipment.
These are not the fastest options if you plan to move around large amounts of data but for the average home user they will be a pretty good solution. The only issues we have noticed with the two units we have is that they get quite hot and also we have not found a way of fixing the drive letters or ip address which can cause a few issues. However, we have been very impressed with them considering the low price.
The Netgear SC101's come equipped with the following spec:
- 1 x 10/100 auto-sensing LAN port
- SAN (Storage Area Network) technology
- Easy upgrade ability through IDE drives
- Mirroring and scanning capabilities
- Install 1 or 2 3.5" IDE disk drives (note these don't come supplied with the SC101) with any capacity
- Smart Wizard set-up and configuration
- Back-Up software
- SC101 Storage Central
- Ethernet cable
- Installation CD-ROM
- Quick Installation Guide
- Warranty/support information card
- Tech support number: 0870 112 1206
- Tech support hours: 24 hours 7 days a week
- Tech support email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Installing and setting up the SC101 is pretty easy. Put the drives in the machine ensuring that the the disks are set to cable select (this is usually how they are set up as default). Plug them into your router or switch and run the install software.
There are two modes for the set up software, we recommend using the wizard until you are comfortable with the system. To the right you can see a screen shot of the set up wizard.
Netgear SC101 Storage Central - Network Attached Storage (NAS) - IDE Storage Central